National Road Safety Week
National Road Safety Week 2022 is from 15 to 22 May.
The national campaign is an initiative by the Safer Australian Roads and Highways (SARAH) Group, in partnership with road safety organisations and governments. We share a vision of increasing the community’s commitment to protect every life and reduce avoidable road deaths and serious injuries that occur across the country.
On average 40 people are killed and around 480 seriously injured on Territory roads each year. Every serious road crash has ongoing and devastating effects for our families and communities.
Our goal is Towards Zero deaths and serious injuries on Territory roads. This week is a timely reminder that road safety is everyone’s responsibility.
As individuals and as a community, we all have the power to make our roads safer.
We can all show our support by:
- taking The Pledge to 'Drive So Others Survive'
- displaying the National Road Safety Week poster in your workplace
- supporting the NRSW social media campaign and using the #TowardsZeroNT, #NRSW or #DriveSOS hashtags in your posts
- displaying a yellow ribbon or sticker on your car, motorbike, truck or bicycle
- hosting a road safety themed toolbox talk at your workplace, or talking to your family, friends and colleagues about road safety
- wearing a yellow lapel ribbon
- any other activities that promote safe road use.
Some of the activities happening throughout this week are:
- Road Safety Week Treasure Hunt
- Road Safety stall at the Mindil Beach Markets on Sunday 15 May
- Road Safety stall at Raintree Park on Monday 16 May and Thursday 19 May
- Buildings around the Territory will be lit in yellow
- AANT’s StreetSmart High for senior school students
- Hector will also visit schools throughout the Week
Please drive so others survive. #DriveSOS